Vistas de página en total

lunes, 30 de enero de 2012

you say potato and I say papa

Since I seem to have been on a food thing over the last few weeks thought it might be time to look at the humble potato and its 4000 types just in Peru. In 1976 they found potatoes that were 8000 years old south of Lima adn they are now one of the most important foods in the world.

Being from Scotland I am quite the lover of potatoes which is a good thing as here in Peru you generally get either rice (not a fan, actually don't eat atall except in rice pudding) or potatoes.

When you go to the market it is not a case of picking up a bag of tatties you are given a whole choice, normally at least 15 different varieties. Now I am a great believer in just normal white potatoes as you can do everything with them, boil, fry, roast and make mash, however here in Peru they believe that each potato has a purpose, if you want to make mash you must use yellow potatoes, you want boiled you use canchan, you want chips white potato.

However I have discovered some wonderful purple potatoes that make great fries and are also really good boiled.
How can you not want to eat these?

One of my other favourite potatoes is from the town of Cocha Moco in Q'eros where they have tiny little potatoes that are eaten for breakfast lunch and dinner and that they also make bread out of. One of my preffered things is sitting in their town eating these boiled potatoes with salt and cheese. 


I guess thats enough news about potatoes as I have to run out of the door and buy some, but I must say I still miss my Ayrshire new potatoes. 

For more info about tatties contact www.tikatrek.com and www.tikasoapperu.com 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario