Vistas de página en total

jueves, 1 de marzo de 2012

Quillabamba to Iquitos Part 1

This time in my wee blog I thought it might be nice to start writing down stuff from the diary I made in October 2004 (I think) of a crazy trip I took into the jungle for a month living on cow and pirate boats. People have often asked me about the trip so time to get it written down.

Sun 17th October

After an interesting bus trip with women of all ages selling gaseosas and choclo con queso and me under the influence of a valium I slept until I arrived in Quillabamba. A quick taxi ride with my 5 million (only actually 5 but feels like 5 million) bags until I get to the good old Alto Urubamba hostal. I fall into bed as it is 4am and doze in the humid airless room until 9am.
I have a quick shower, cold but refreshing, it is a shock to the system but you do get used to it. After a quickie breakfast I hit the swimming pool at Sambaray, a pretty sports complex on the banks of the Urubamba river. A quiet afternoon and an early night in the stiffling heat.

Mon 18th October
Last minute shopping, packing, bus tickets to be bought and a couple of beers before starting on this crazy trip about 2500kms throught the jungle and past the old penal colony of Peru. A moment of fear realising that I am heading off into the unknown. Yikey.
Got on the chicken bus which took forever and also stopped at a party in a small village where the driver got out for a couple of hours, doesn't really install much confidence does it.

Tue 19th October
Its my birthday and well I woke with a shock. The bus had arrived but not to the door, a long bridge had to be crossed, so I stood beside the bus and organised my things ready to cross the bridge however as I am waiting I hear a rumbling noise move a little to the side and a tree comes crashing down the hill, thank goodness I moved or I would be well not here I reckon, the bus roof was caved in and the windows broken and I was covered in leaves. Happy birthday Fiona.

I finally make it to the village and dump all my stuff at the hostel while I wait for a boat going to bajo Pongo. Boats are not daily and you just have to wait so while I waited I went off to the pool in the river to cool off and also to get out of town. Ivochote is the weirdest little town has one street going up the middle with 4 sad looking little shops and hotels

Tomorrow I will continue on my journey, I get on the Evangelists boat.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario