Vistas de página en total

lunes, 12 de marzo de 2012

Kirigeti, Quillabamba to Iquitos Part 3


I wake in the middle of the night in the village of Kirigeti. Its dark out but I have my torch as I need to be on the lookout for snakes, spiders and any other creepy crawlies that may be about. Life here begins about 5am, I can hear the kids running outside the tent. 4 young boys and a month old baby called Rebecca all with mum and dad. 
They are extremely curious as you can imagine they don’t see a whole lot of white people down here, we are a long way form any central place and probably 2 days from the closest police station, hospital or anything similar. 
The family close by is staying in the communal room, it is a small hut, with a mattress or maybe an old metal bed that is available from any travellers of the same tribes, on occasion you are allowed to stay in them as a foreign traveller, they are available in most communities. 

They are watching as I make food, they watch the camping stove and chatter away in their own language, laughing the whole time. I offered them some hot chocolate and bread and they devour it, a big hit. 

I go for a walk and come to the control post of where they measure the speed of the boats that are going up and down the river, the have speed limits.  The reason that a child has been killed on the banks of the river when a speed boat went past, there is quite a flow of traffic due to the gas plant that is in the area.

During the day the Ashaninkas become braver coming to touch my things and see what they do,  I get all packed up and get a lift on the local tractor to the beach.

I sit on the bank of the river waiting for a boat to come even though the locals say no its too late. A boat finally arrives that is going to Sepahua, next destination, its different to the canoes I am used to its more a little speedboat. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario