Vistas de página en total

viernes, 2 de marzo de 2012

Quillabamba to Iquitos part 2

day 4
Got up and packed, had coffee egg sandwich and coffee and go and find a boat, luckily there is one departing in 30 mins. Funny boat Evangelists stopping all over the place to organise their meeting for the night in Bajo Pongo. Stopped at schools, houses, town.
We passed the Pongo in high waters, highest I have ever seen. The Evangelists (yes there were some interesting conversations) dropped me off on a beach to wait for the next boat that was coming past.
As I get on the next boat I realise everyone is very drunk, they are a group from the ministry of health that come to do 2 month health camoaigns in the jungle, there are 2 docs, 1 gyne and a lab technician. With them I pass the Machuiguenga village of Timpia and Las Malvinas (the town where they extract the Camisea gas) and end up in the village if Camisea. The village is about 20 metres above the river which is a nightmare with luggage but we all settle into the school for the night.

Day 5.
Got up ridiculously early, not sure why as the docs seem to take forever, so I used it as an opportunity to take photos before jumping back on our 20 metre canoe to the town of Kirigeti a small Machuiguenga community.
Quickly dumped stuff before heading to the village of Nueva Luz where there isa a reasonable size shop to stock up.
When I get back to Kirigeti I take advantage of the small river to do some washing and freshen up as the heat is infernal.
Walk about and meet another boatman as I am leaving the doctors and heading further north to Nuevo Mundo, also the first time I get to try masato the fermented mandioc drink, interesting.
Tomorrow further north.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario